PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 28th Feb 2016, 21:28
Bill Pike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We must ask ourselves why it would even enter the head of the pilot of MDX to flight plan via Craven etc. My understanding at the time was that he had been told at the flight planning that clearance via Willy airspace was unlikely to be available. And, as I recall, there was a red arrow on the chart that prohibited flight planning via Willy Indeed in my view that is the only reason that makes sense. So one was not permitted to flight plan through Willy airspace although clearance might become available? There isn't any doubt that single engine aircraft were at times require to track that way when only risible levels of traffic by international standards were using Willy airspace. I doubt that anyone will believe the conversation I had with Alan Newman of DCA (or similar) about flight planning direct Sydney from Willy in lieu of via MQD about 1970. "Why can't we flight plan direct?" "Because there is a red arrow on the chart" "But why is it there?" "Because we don't want you flight planning direct" and so on. I did finally win that one, (with the support of Bob Green and Arthur Doubleday), saving my then employer a lot of money that had previously been wasted on pointless extra track miles.

PS I always am a supporter of Dick when I support his aims. I do not care about his methods. They are his business.
Why we are discussing Hicks here I cannot fathom.

Last edited by Bill Pike; 28th Feb 2016 at 21:53.