PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stag party causes Ryanair diversion
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2016, 21:09
LlamaFarmer

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartyMeatballs
You'd have to raise that with the caterers. Its their products the airlines sell. They take the money. It's their POS devices used to process payments. The airlines just take a commission and don't decide where tax is paid or exempt.

And therein lies the problem.

Back when I worked in bars and clubs during my time at uni, I got paid no matter how much I sold or refused to serve customers.

I was actively encouraged by the personal licence holder not to serve to those who did not have ID and may have been underage, or those who were significantly intoxicated (i.e. drunk and loud but civilised was fine, but can barely stand/walk/talk or aggressive was not).

When I was a supervisor I likewise made sure others refused sales where appropriate, because I knew I'd lose my job if it came to it.

I understand that for airlines there will always be an incentive to sell alcohol (where it is not complimentary already), but if there was a DISinsentive to refuse to serve those who are drunk (such as likely chance of a disciplinary or worse, or a personal fine) then that would surely reduce the problem I'd have thought.

As a passenger myself, I've seen plenty of other passengers who are obviously too far gone and yet they continue to be served.

Although on the other hand I've also seen very diplomatic cabin crew who manage the situation very well.

"Sorry sir, we're all out of Bacardi I'm afraid. Yes, and the Smirnoff too I'm afraid sir."
*moves to the next row*
"Yes madam, what would you like? Vodka and coke? Coming right up"