PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian CASA PPL to EASA PPL conversion (UK)
Old 28th Feb 2016, 21:06
Sheap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian CASA PPL to EASA PPL conversion (UK)

Can anybody please let me know if they have solid information on the process of converting foreign licences, in particular from Australia, to EASA licences? I've recently made the move over from Australia, and am looking to get back in the air.
I currently have a CASA PPL with about 140 hours, including an NVFR, and aerobatics rating. The licence is currently valid, with a flight review due next month. I also have a valid medical for a couple more years.
I can't find any official information on this matter, and an email I sent to the CAA a couple of months ago has not been responded to. The information I can find scattered throughout the internet seems to range from me needing to do an air law, human limitations, and ratio telephony exam, flight test and that's it. Others seem to indicate that my foreign licence needs to be valid at the time of conversion, and there's a significant amount of flying time required. I've seen some suggestion that it's easier to go through an NPPL, and others seem to suggest it's easier to just start from scratch (I expect they mean just all of the exams and flight tests, surely even in the worst case scenario the hours would be recognised).
Any first hand experience would be appreciated.