PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Book reviews: Helicopters, Principles of Flight etc
Old 15th Jul 2003, 01:48
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't agree more. This is the best text ever written on rotary flight.

First impressions are of a fairly heavy text (literally as its a substantial book), if you flick through and see the large number of charts and graphs. But it is so well written, humourous and immensely readable.

I started my copy at 9pm one night and didn't put it down until 3am - it's full of so many gems and 'I never realised that....'s.

One of the gems for me was: 'where should the slip ball be in balanced forward flight?' No, not in the middle. But in the same position as in the hover. My aircraft hovers noticeably one skid low when without pax, which means by chasing the precise centre of the slip ball, I've been flying very slightly out of trim, well.., forever....... Yes, like many of the gems in the book, I guess many of you knew this, but I guarantee you'll find one you didn't know.

Unless you're the kind of pilot who only kicks the proverbial tyres and isn't interested in 'how', this book will massively enhance your understanding of helicopters.

Unmissable. Get a copy.

(the usual health warnings of: never met Shawn Coyle, not on commission, etc.)