PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear Cadet, will you promise us the earth?
Old 28th Feb 2016, 03:46
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the COO expects pilots to make duty to the company the highest priority. That is what the letter implies - to always make decisions in the interest of the company first and foremost. Not the passengers and not the profession.
Sunfish,

As I said previously, I agree with your interpretation of the tone of the letter and the possible implications thereof. However, I do not agree that he has told, or even suggested, that safety takes second place to Company loyalty. Surely, in placing safety at the very highest level one is directly supporting the company. It could even be argued that being 'fiercely loyal' means putting the Company interests first by ensuring business is conducted as safely as possible, after all it's no good being loyal to a company that's gone out of business because of a preventable accident.

Believe me, I'm no Management stooge and have come perilously close to being slung out on my arse for my vehemence in some of the meetings I've attended. Likewise, I've become quite adept at reading Management edicts but I'm at a loss to draw the same conclusions as you've drawn from this particular letter.