PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planning a flight to Austria in May
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2016, 13:49
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve flown in/out of Voslau and they were very friendly - don’t know much about the immediate area, though.

Wiener Neustadt East is good strip and not far from the town itself, which has a decent selection of hotels, guest houses and restaurants and there are several within walking distance of the airport. It’s a “new” town but that was in 1194, so plenty of history and culture. The Diamond factory is on the airfield and the facilities are excellent. The field is on the low ground with the first foothills of the Alps beginning about 5 miles away, so ceiling and visibility shouldn’t be an issue for getting in and out.

That area is convenient for exploring by air into the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, eastern Austria and NE Italy. If the weather is OK (and May is a good month as it’s warm but the storms haven’t really got going yet) you can nip over to places like St Johann-in-Tirol which is a spectacular alpine trip. There’s Klagenfurt and Graz to the SW with much more open terrain if the high mountains are cloudy. If you want to take a day off flying, Vienna is only a short train ride away.

Depending on your experience level and the conditions, there are quite a few airfields in the main valleys of the Austrian Alps that would make interesting additions to the logbook. Many are PPR but I’ve never had a refusal after a polite enquiry.

I would definitely take a PLB and/or a SPOT device if I were going flying in these areas, though.