PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne Tech vs EngO
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2016, 09:18
Herc-u-lease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motivation for Commission

Hi,

firstly, I went the airman to commission route and it was the right decision for me. I'm going to dish out some advice, which might seem harsh, but is meant to provoke serious thought on your part.

Why do you want to commission? Because the SEngO suggested it, or because you want to improve your career and undertake the responsibilities commissioned service brings with it? The EngO role you describe is few and far between; you can sensibly expect to see a JEngO tour once in four tours and similar for SEngO (these are now competition based). The rest of the commissioned Eng life is doing desk work and will involve PT work, staff tours, tea boy at Air Cmd etc. You will find many of the Flt Lt Eng Officer jobs are engineering administrative in nature - stepping in and taking the lead to get an cab flying will happen rarely in your commissioned career. Ask yourself: are you a great SNCO looking for more responsibility, or someone who is genuinely attracted to the commissioned existence?

Now for the good bit; being commissioned opens up some very interesting doors and will allow you to get involved in stuff you will never otherwise see as an NCO. I worked in industry for several years, worked abroad and undertook responsibilities well above my rank. I have a CV I can be proud of and do not underestimate the kudos being commissioned brings. I left the RAF 18 months ago and earn way more than I did as a Flt Lt - doors opened by virtue of my training, experience and managerial CV.

An ex-airman friend and I were talking a few weeks ago and we both agreed our favourite times were as SACs/JTs working on the Sqn/line. However, our commissioned paths have afforded us significant managerial opportunities and financial stability. Being at the sharp end is fun, but the money/responsibility comes with more administrative (but mentally challenging) engineering roles.

Per the advice above, take the time to visit the ATs. Shadow a JEngO, then shadow a PT EngO and visit someone at Air Cmd. Only then will you see the full spectrum of what being a commissioned EngO truly entails and you can then make an informed choice.

Good luck and never lose sight of what makes you professionally and personally happy.

H

(please feel free to PM if you like)