PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airborne Tech vs EngO
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2016, 10:32
puma fixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airborne Tech vs EngO

Good morning all.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some balanced advice?

I've been advised by my SEngO to apply for commissioning as an Engineer Officer via the BES but... I had planned to apply for Airborne Technician upon completion of my current tour as an Av SNCO in Lincolnshire.

While I feel confident that with training and experience I would do well as an Engineer Officer, if I'm honest with myself, it's the 1st line JEngO and SengO tours that interest me and the IPT/Cmd tours don't really appeal at the moment.

I get a great deal of satisfaction from stepping in and leading at the sharp end when there's lots on and few around to do it whilst still managing the whole trade desk, acting as the Trade Manager with SJARs, associated duties management, MAA disciplinary action, standards and practises setting and maintaining and am concerned that going down the BES route, it's an awful long time to invest in something that I'm just not sure I'd get the same job satisfaction from. (If selected)

For me, knowing where my passions and niches lie, I am attracted to Airborne Technician and GE with plans to apply for the commissioned Warrant Officer scheme if I reach the rank.

Do you guys think that's a sensible course of action or would you advise applying for EngO straight off the bat.

Many thanks,

PF (no longer fixing Pumas!)