PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - who still has flight engineers?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2016, 01:28
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a professional FE for nearly40 years on Connies, B707 and B747.While I didn't operate DC8s I rode jump seat on many and they weren't much different to the B707 including having similar engines and systems.
Izzat so?

I cant see how they could be operated legally or practically without the FEs station manned full time and I certainly cant see how they could be flown any distance" without moving the white knobs on the fuel panel"?
So, you've never plumbed on the DC-8 and just can't see how they can be flown without moving the white knobs on the fuel panel?

Trust me friend, you can cross the ocean without messing with those round white DNFW 'job' knobs.

Beside the practical, the DC8 was legally certified as a 3 crew aircraft. To change that would mean a new certification which is what FedEx did to achieve the MDC10 status.
Must be a fig newton of my imagination, right?

I believe about a half dozen DC-8-73F's were operated by Air Canada for maybe a decade starting around 1983. Since they were only freighters, they probably got an exemption to operate without an FE under the familiar 'no significant loss of life' cargo plane concept that is currently applied in the U.S. to other safety areas like carrying lithium batteries and crew rest rules.

As soon as the bars close in 'North' America hopefully some of our Canadian friends can chime in here and tell me if I'm totally delusional.

The L188 is a different situation as the FEs station is fwd facing ,similar to the Herc.
Since you've never flown the L188 either I'll have to tell you sometime about doing my rating ride with the electric trim inop.