PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 25th Feb 2016, 19:19
Lead Balloon

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts
I think for some years now, the aviation environment in this country has become victim to a 'tail wagging the dog' airspace mentality.
And whom, in your view, should be the dog?

I'm tipping that you're going to say, in effect, that individual private citizens in their aircraft are the tail? Pesky citizens presuming to fly around in airspace owned by...now let me think about this...the ADF isn't separate from the Commonwealth so doesn't own anything separate from the Commonwealth...yeah that's it, the airspace is owned by the Commonwealth ... presuming to fly around in airspace owned by the county of which they are a citizen, within an air traffic control and flight service system that's paid for ... now let me think about this ... yeah that's it... paid for by their taxes. (I note here that e.g. QANTAS hasn't paid a cent in corporate tax in years.)

One day you'll wake up and realise that not all the freedoms taken away from and inconveniences imposed on individuals, in the name of "the greater good", are.

Perhaps the architects of the pairing-away of CTA some years ago should instead have concentrated on developing systems to permit closer interaction of VFR and IFR RPT in CTA without unnecessarily increasing controller workload. That way all users would have benefited.
Like the system in the USA, for example?

An airline encouraging pilots not to fly through Class E just goes to show how many people involved in aviation in Australia are almost completely disconnected from real-world risks and real-world risk management.