PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2016, 17:00
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...commercial or wide-area satellites aren't the complete answer, but in conjunction with the Automatic Identification System they are a big contributor to a common operational picture.
I agree completely. And I'd like to add a bit to the above. Right now anyone can go on the internet and track essentially every flight on the planet, military and commercial, in near real time. However, I'd like to gently point out that such data is far far removed from being able to target any of those flights. And even with such data plus a highly sophisticated air defense radar system able to precisely track and target aircraft, someone in Eastern Ukraine shot down the wrong airplane. The shipping traffic in the S. China Sea is even more dense than the air traffic over eastern Ukraine. So even with AIS and satellites, the targeting problem is very complex.

I believe the consequences of targeting a CVN with a ballistic missile and getting it wrong will carry far heavier consequences than the MH17 event. And the consequences of getting it right and damaging or sinking the CVN would be devastating. So even assuming the ability to sink a carrier with a ballistic missile exists, what is the real utility of that ability if the consequences of using it are devastating? I welcome disagreeing viewpoints.