PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 24th Feb 2016, 22:47
RatsoreA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem of a clearance in the next sector is a furphy.
Demonstrate how? I can show you a transcript of the conversation between FIS 5, Sector 1, Williamtown and Approach that clearly states who said what and why. But I don't need to send you that, you already have a copy I have emailed you, but if anyone else wants it, please PM, and I will share.

The clearance could have been given and any necessary holding could have taken place in a far safer way over the Willy NDB.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda, didn't. That was the regulatory framework put out by the DT back then. The RAAF, and the controller at Williamtown had absolutley nothing to do with that. If you will recall, I have mentioned that the Williamtown controller said almost immediatly that MDX could transit through the Williamtown zone. In fact, the only person that ever even spoke to MDX was FIS 5.

The only reason. I repeat only reason that the aircraft had to head towards the mountainous country was the RAAF regulations and roadblock airspace.
That is simply not true. The PIC CHOSE that route. If the "RAAF Roadblock" was such and impermeable membrane blocking all civilian traffic going north and south, how was AZC, a 206 able to get through a scant 5-10 minutes before. There was no change to the classification of the zone in between the time of AZC and MDX.

flight planning restriction remained
Can you offer some proof of this? A 30 year old ERSA? A 30 year old copy of some sort of AIP?

You are all deluding yourselves if you don't admit there are serious problems of resistance to change within the regulatory side of the military ATC system.
I am sure there are. Across the entire ADF there is resistance to change to a lot of things, because traditions, or human nature or whatever. But I wouldn't be able to comment on that, as that is not an area where I have any first hand experience. What I do have experience in is, flying between Brisbane and Sydney, VFR and NVFR and have never ever been held up anywhere near Williamtown.