PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 24th Feb 2016, 22:24
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
The problem of a clearance in the next sector is a furphy.

The clearance could have been given and any necessary holding could have taken place in a far safer way over the Willy NDB.

It's the RAAF organisation as a whole I am blaming for these deaths. Same can happen this winter as it is illegal to put in a flight plan over the lower and direct terrain overhead Willy if the airspace is active.

The only reason. I repeat only reason that the aircraft had to head towards the mountainous country was the RAAF regulations and roadblock airspace .

Look at equivalent British, Canadian and US military airspace . They all do not restrict flight planning over the top of facilities in similar circumstances.

On the night in question there were no military operations taking place yet the flight planning restriction remained - and it still exists today.

My next plan is to publically warn young Australians in a major campaign not to join an organisation which is so dis functional and so lacks leadership that it can't copy the best from around the world.. Even after 30 years.

I am sure more lives will be lost. Most likely with RAAF personnel. That's what happens when regulations remain in the 1930s.

You are all deluding yourselves if you don't admit there are serious problems of resistance to change within the regulatory side of the military ATC system.