PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2016, 21:48
Danny42C

Project Propeller ? An online alternative ?

Global Nav,

First, let me thank you (on behalf of all veterans) for the kind words said. As an Arnold School graduate (Class of 42C), I still recall the kindnesses shown to us by all Americans in those turbulent times - now a distant memory.

As a veritable babe-in-arms in IT affairs, I hesitate to put my oar in on a discussion of this basically very attractive idea. Essentially, as it seems to me, it would aim to create the "Virtual Crewroom in Cyperspace" of my imagination. But immediately difficulties crowd in. For a start, here in the UK, we work on a 11-13 hour time difference from our antipodean cousins: The W. Coast of the US has a 9 hr difference one way, Tokyo a 9hr the other from us. Even your Washington is 5 hrs behind us.

As for technical difficulties, Wiki points out:
...WebEx is not a free platform like WiZiQ or Moodle and fees are paid per "host" of a classroom or a meeting. Some organizations, however, have started to integrate WebEx with Moodle.[12][13]...
and
...Appearance consciousness: A second psychological problem with videoconferencing is being on camera, with the video stream possibly even being recorded. The burden of presenting an acceptable on-screen appearance is not present in audio-only communication. Early studies by Alphonse Chapanis found that the addition of video actually impaired communication, possibly because of the consciousness of being on camera.[22]..
and
...Signal latency: The information transport of digital signals in many steps need time. In a telecommunicated conversation, an increased latency (time lag) larger than about 150–300 ms becomes noticeable and is soon observed as unnatural and distracting. Therefore, next to a stable large bandwidth, a small total round-trip time is another major technical requirement for the communication channel for interactive videoconferencing.[23]...
and
...The issue of eye-contact may be solved with advancing technology, and presumably the issue of appearance consciousness will fade as people become accustomed to videoconferencing...
But the most fundamental objection is a more visceral one. PPRuNe (IMHO) in general owes its enormous popularity, (and on this Forum and Thread in particular), from its policy of complete anonymity. Safe in our little burrows and hiding behind our "callsigns", we can chat on equal terms, irrespective of age or physical disabilty, our appearance, our circumstances, or our former rank and status (or lack of it !) And think of the possibility of unfortunate or rancorous words being spoken (for how could you moderate it ?)

I would vote to keep it the way it is - but it's an appealing idea all the same, Global Nav (thank you for it), and others may have different ideas. What do you say, chaps ?

Danny42C.