PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 24th Feb 2016, 17:25
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Hand held l@sers damaging eyes of pilots of an airliner at height? I think not.
I have not suggested someone is likely to have permanent damage from a laser strike on an airliner at height (unless it was a weapons-grade laser). That would depend on the NOHD (or rather the ED50) and whether you are talking photochemical limits, thermal limits or dual limit boundaries. The FAA has produced an easier interpretation than the NOHD found in the ANSI Z136.1 laser safety standard, and that will show you a 5W green (532nm) unpulsed laser with a 2 mil divergence has an ED50 of about 250 ft. So I get that permanent damage at range is unlikely.

Dazzle is a different matter but it is still something that will reduce your eyesight below the level required by your licence.

My difficulty in all this is that we have a global problem with laser attacks that has prompted Sec Gen ICAO to send a State Letter asking all states to take action, there are criminal acts (lasers attacks) taking place against aviators at the rate of 150 per month or more in the UK, and there are members of the profession who think it's OK and we need do nothing about it. Now that I don't get at all.

And Chris Griffin, you are right, the Darwin remark was born of frustration but was indeed uncool...