PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crashing and Burning
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2000, 01:37
Lu Zuckerman

Thumbs down

I believe the additive used in the test was Poly Iso Butylene. For a short time back in the 70s I was marketing this material as a anti smoke additive. Garrett Airesearch used it to eliminate smoke when they were running off mixture tests. When they ran the test without the additive the smoke blew across the San Diego Freeway and the California Air Quality Board would slap them with a fine of several thousand dollars.

Because of this, they had to run the tests at night which involved premium pay. They used it until my supply ran out. I also contacted the engine manufacturers and they turned it down because they were working on smoke free engines. The navy used it on their diesel driven mine sweepers. It totally eliminated the smoke. I contacted several large oil companies asking if they could add it to their diesel and gasoline supplies and I provided samples. Some were interested and I started counting the dollars
that is, until I got a letter from Texaco.

They owned the patent on the additive and told me if I were to market it to other refineries I would be sued as would the other refineries. I stopped at that point and the product was never put on the market. Texaco however, never added the material to their fuel and until I heard of the test described above involving the 707 I thought everyone had given up on it.

What surprised me the most when I saw the test on TV the announcer said they were using Poly Iso Butylene as a means of preventing misting. The reason it worked so well as a smoke reducer is that it allowed the fuel to atomize into smaller particles
thus, burning cleaner.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 04 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 04 November 2000).]