PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HS 125 Crash Dakar (GOOY)
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2016, 07:19
grizzled

Received 80 Likes on 15 Posts
ATC Watcher...

Your last post sums up the African civil aviation situation very well: the aircraft was likely not airworthy.

As you and I (and many others) well know, on any given day there are dozens of non-airworthy aircraft flying in Africa, dozens of non-qualified pilots flying, dozens of landings on runways that should be declared unserviceable (and I'm talking about runways at real airports here, not "landing strips"), and dozens of incidents involving inadequate ATC. And for those of you not familiar with Africa, I am not overstating the situation; when I say dozens I mean dozens.

Sadly, the African context means these facts, though well known by regulators (if we can call them that) and even ICAO, are only mentioned after an accident.

It is a terribly irony, but almost a certainty, that no significant improvements will take place until and unless a major international carrier is involved in such an accident. If, for example, the HS125 had hit an Emirates aircraft there would have been incredible pressure for a proper investigation, an effort to locate the HS125 (which there has never been), immense international media scrutiny, and at least a glimmer of hope for some change to the "Wizard of Oz" world that is African civil aviation.