PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 24th Feb 2016, 06:54
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
The pilot was not informed of a " short delay". Considering that at the present time at Willy pilots can be held up to 30 mins without explanation even when operating VFR up the coastal lane I can see why a pilot would think twice when being told there would be a delay.

It's incredible how you military people think you have to follow some type of clearly unethical code to protect the system you were in.

Even today the ERS prohibits planning over Willy if the restricted areas are active so the same type of accident no doubt will occur again. This is criminal .

And no. I have never blamed the individual controllers who were just complying with pathetic rules and leadership.

Typical that BASI protected the pathetic " system" and made no recommendation as to the controllers with a radar screen actually being responsible for radar covered airspace . Even when I changed that it was resisted by ex military people at CAA.

The pilot was not ever given any information on how long the delay might be Even the FSO was worried that the aircraft was getting close to the controlled airspace .

All five would have most likely lived if FAA NAS airspace had existed on the night with direct flight over the top in class E airspace . The military hierarchy who don't copy the best from around the world will be responsible for the next lot of fatalities.