PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How high do you fly?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 19:23
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you,Delta V, for introducing us to Bob Grimstead's writeup of his amazing flight. He surely was pushing his boundaries, and was lucky to survive the apoxia. It is the most pleasant way of all to commit suicide, they say, because without pain, very quickly the mind relaxes, no worries, and you are gone!

Bob's flight took a lot of preparation, and luck, amazing that an engine could take him so high. Respect to those who made that excellent machine!

My own flying in wave at Deeside Gliding Club was routine, really. The hairy bit is following the tow plane through the lee rotor, that sure would rattle the dishes in the kitchen. Takes two hands tightly on the stick to maintain control. Once through the rotor and established beside a nice fat lenticular cloud, you stay in the same spot over the ground steadily rising higher and higher. To my surprise I noticed the altimeter actually has three hands! never saw that before! Aiming for diamond height, I flew to 20,300 feet, and could see three sides of Scotland. A perfect day.
Although it was cold, beating back and forth the sun shone in one side and warmed up the glider. I had a baby blanket with me that I could easily pull over my body to keep warm.

Every now and then the instructor on the ground would call on the radio to make sure I wasn't going doolally, which was reassuring. But so much easier and safer to climb to great heights in a glider in mountain wave. And quieter. It's not something I need to do again, however. It is much more comfortable flying at sensible levels. Say between 3,000 and 7,000 feet along a nice cloud street. Today the cumulus looked amazing.