PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 18:41
LlamaFarmer

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bbrown1664
I am in no way saying that its not possible or that the miscreants should not be "seen to" but......

Some little scrote with a hand held laser pointer is going to be lucky to get his beam the length of a football field. Even if he does manage it, he has to be in the right place with the right elevation with a very steady hand to actually hit someone on the head in the cockpit when the pilots are sat back from the windows.
Even more lucky to get them in the eye which, as has already been pointed out, has a diameter of less than 10mm.

So from a distance of a couple of miles, allowing for the angle they would need to be at, they would need a military grade guidance laser on a steady tripod.

There is more to this story than is being published. Some of it, unfortunately looks like some pilots are swinging the lead a little. Maybe they did see a laser spot in the cockpit but it is almost impossible to actually have been hit in the eyes with it. It certainly doesn't happen for real as often as it is being reported.

That said, as I said at the beginning. The scrotes that shine the lasers at anything other than their own eyes or a whiteboard need to be "dealt with".
Have you ever been hit by a laser?

I have. I've never claimed to be hit directly in the eye, because I don't think I have, but I have been targeted and it can be excruciatingly painful and temporarily blinding just having it hit the cockpit windows, never mind specifically targeting you directly in the eye.

Plus all it takes is a wave in the general direction for a minute or so and you'd probably get at least a few dangerously distracting flashes.

These bigger more powerful handheld lasers are more like full-size Maglights than the little tiny pointers most of us are probably used to from use in presentations... it's probably much easier to hold steady or rest against something in order to make it more accurate