PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LM to offer T-50A for USAF's T-X requirement...
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 17:51
Fonsini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My ill-informed 2 cents.

LM has the F-35 so the likelihood of them getting the contract is minimal as the government wants to maintain at least 2 major combat aircraft manufacturers, hence their half-hearted effort with the T-50A and minimal investment. The M-346 (T-100) would normally be a sure thing for Raytheon, except for the rather awkward fact that it's really a Russian aircraft in the form of the Yak-130 and we would have to sit and listen to the Russkies crowing about the USAF flying a "Russian" combat aircraft from here to eternity - that's never, ever going to happen.

The Hawk doesn't have the thrust and there's only so many times you can recycle the design no matter how much you like the basic aircraft, the Scorpion simply doesn't have the performance either, and what that leaves you with I'm not sure, but for me I would favor the T-50A with an upgraded engine probably the F414 - that would be a useful little jet, but someone else would have to make it.

Not wishing to be controversial here, just the way I see it.