PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commando Helicopter Force article
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2016, 06:50
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Satsuma, under the SABR project it probably would have been a properly re-engineered CH-47 but that intellectual collossus G Brown pinched funding for helicopters (with little public dissent from VSOs) just before we became balls deep in a war where there was a paucity of capable rotorcraft....

But. A non-marinised CH-47 would be a nightmare for CHF. For all the Merlin's limitations, the Mk4 will at least be equipped for sustained maritime Ops. RAF Chinooks will deploy when the RM need heavy lift, but will never be a permanent fixture. At the moment most of CHF would probably have picked V-22 as the 'platform of choice'.

Back on thread - I thoroughly enjoyed working alongside the CHF and their Sea Kings from Bosnia to Afghan. Yes, it was slow, but it was a tough old bird and the crews have a real espirit de corps and I'm proud to call several of them friends. They will make Merlin work. I've also heard murmours of "best practice is spelled a,r,m,y" at Yeovs but having worked there the dark blue runs too deep to be overcome. Benson is a lovely station, and closer to London, so I'm not surprised the CHF have enjoyed their time there....