PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetRanger crash Honolulu HI
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 13:37
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe this is a little off-topic. It's funny that some pilots assume that a steep approach is necessarily a steep and fast approach. This is not the case. I flew a 206B for a rich guy - mainly out of his hunting camp and various dealerships that he owned. The sites we used were ALWAYS confined and we were ALWAYS heavy, both going in and coming out. There was no such thing as a "nice, gentle, shallow approach" to any of these places. The approaches often went beyond the FAA definition of "steep." Forty-five degrees was not uncommon.

You learn how to do it - learn how to ride the ETL burble all the way down. The 206 is great in this regard: Hold a cabin attitude that is just a degree or two below the horizon. As you come down into ground effect, simply raise the nose to the hover attitude (2 or 3 degrees above the horizon). Voila! The ship stops with hardly any power change at all. Very rewarding when done right.

Shallow approaches are for airplanes. In a helicopter I'll always take a steep approach over a shallow one. It might not always guarantee that I'll hit my intended spot if the engine quits, but I believe it's better than doing what the Hawaii 206 did.