PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton airshow.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 07:52
Martin the Martian

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
airpolice said:

Let's just start a huge business, allegedly to make money for a charity, but spend almost all of the revenue on ourselves.

I wonder how much less, if any, would be collected by asking spotters to pay for limited access at the remaining airfields. All year round airshows, no manning costs and no traffic issues for the locals.

Are there 2,000 serious spotters in the UK? Including terrorists and foreign spies?

We could knock up an access area at each airfield. Like Waddo has but better, and sell annual memberships for £100 which allows you into any site.

Same money for the Charity, without the hangers on getting a nose in the trough.
I suspect they'd bite your hands off for the chance. And yes, there are certainly more than 2,000 serious spotters in the UK -excluding terrorists and foreign spies.

I think perhaps the organisers could take a leaf out of the French Air Force's book with regard to how they do this new event. Their events are superb, with excellent flying and static displays, put the aircraft front and centre, and don't cost more than a few Euros -if at all.