PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for the budding pilot with responsibilities.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 20:26
holding4release

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospects for the budding pilot with responsibilities.

Hello all, after many years of reading these forums from the jump seat, I've taken the plunge and become a member.

My situation - for as long as I can remember I've had a keen interest in aviation. (Living near EGMC probably helped). For some reason when I was at school I never considered a flying career a possibility, I guess coming from a not very well off background I almost assumed this was a path reserved for a very select few, akin to becoming an astronaut! As a result I didn't even express my interest to my teachers/parents career officers through fear of ridicule - my biggest regret .

Instead my love of machines led me into Agriculture no less. I studied a Bsc at my local Agricultural College and now work in commercial agricultural research. (Not too many machines there).

I've worked hard in my sector and built a life for myself, got a house a wife and a son! But I still find myself tormented by my career choice every time I see another plane jump off the runway and break through the clouds. (I’ll put the violin away now!)

Over the years I've built up a fair amount of aviation knowledge just through curiosity. I can decode a METAR, choose the appropriate holding entry method, interpret a STAR and request an IFR clearance and I’ve only had one 30min trial lesson! needless to say I’m truly fascinated by flying. I think about it when I first wake up and when go to bed. I can only assume that this is normal for those with “the bug”.

Frustratingly it’s only the last couple of years that I think there’s a possibility of this happening for me. I’ve done my research into the two options – integrated vs modular. Because I now have commitments, modular really is my only option, for financial and personal reasons. Neither I nor my family particularly want me away for months at a time and not earning.

So here’s my plan. I’m 24 now, assuming I can come up with the spare cash over the next 10 years.

I do the following at Southend flying club (my local):
PPL
Night
IR
Multi
CPL

And as far as I know this equates to an EASA approved fATPL (correct me if I’m wrong).

I’ll then do a combined MCC and JOC.

Which makes me “technically” employable at a cost of circa £40,000 (again correct me if I’m wrong).

The problem is I look at the requirements of the UK short hauls and they all want around 500 hours plus on >10 tonne GTOW.

So say I achieve all the above by the time I’m 35 (which is old for a new pilot), am I realistically going to find a UK airline that will take me on as a FO or even SO and put me through a type rating, considering 0 commercial experience?

I’m thinking I’ll probably do at least some aspects of the above even if it turns out to be just an expensive but greatly enjoyable hobby! But how much money can you realistically throw at something that won’t see you a return?

To anyone who’s bothered to read this far, thank you! As you can probably tell I really want this and feel I was born to do it – even if a little too late? Any advice welcome, even if it’s putting me off altogether!