PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2016, 15:46
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Assessment of attitude is not new to the display approval process. The emphasis may be changing, but it was already in the checklist.
As was the requirement for referees for Firearm Certificate applications to address specific questions in their submission. It was relatively easy to "tick the boxes" without actually revealing much about the applicant. The selection of referees has now moved from the "pillar of society" figure to having to provide names of those with a greater knowledge of the applicant and their circumstances. Written references are no longer required, but the referee may be contacted by an enquiry officer to discuss the applicant.

So, whilst the process is broadly the same in its purpose, the emphasis and depth of enquiry has definitely altered. I feel that a parallel process in in train with respect to DAs.

I apologise to those not familiar with UK Firearms Licencing procedures, but they do provide a useful analogy for comparing methods of assessment of suitability.

I also found it significant that the article mentions:

DAEs refusing, or even displaying reluctance to attend* their annual seminar will affect the CAA’s assessment of renewing their DAEs.
*my emphasis

This would seem to indicate a hardening of approach by the CAA and a method of ensuring that DAEs fully cooperate with the regulating authority.

YS