PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2016, 14:25
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Alvin Steele wrote:

I have just read the latest Pilot mag where there are details of what appears to be a radical overhaul of the current DA/DAE and FDD requirements.
My question is, would the CAA be privy to the latest AAIB findings before the publication of the final report?
The CAA have taken swift decisive action by the looks of things and one wonders if they feel as if this overhaul was long overdue.
The article makes very interesting and sobering reading.

It is a very interesting article.
I am not sufficiently familiar with the current regulations to appreciate just how much of a change that this represents. However it would appear that there is a significant change of philosophy that may be an attempt to influence the culture attending display flying.

It would appear that the move is from having the "right to display" subject to meeting the criteria to one of having to "demonstrate suitability" and meet more stringent criteria. Those familiar with the UK Firearms Act will quickly see the analogy with Section 2 (shotgun) and Section 1 (rifled barrel firearms) procedures. Indeed, the use of the phrase "right attitudes and behaviours" in relation to display pilots, evaluators and directors is again reminiscent of the language used in relation to assessing suitability to possess firearms in the UK.

Interesting times indeed.

YS