PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trent engine oil loss question
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2016, 12:35
RMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trent engine oil loss question

On my initial course I was told the Trent was certified to run at full thrust with a complete loss of INDICATED engine oil.If it happened all we needed to do was continue to check oil pressure and temperature and as long as these did not change we could continue to destination. I understand there have been numerous nstances of oil loss on Trent and Rb211 and this procedure is approved ( not sure how it is different from the Quantas 380 uncontained failure). I am interested to know though
- how many Trent oil loss incidents there have been
- how long the oil loss takes.

Our company does not have a procedure for monitoring secondary instruments ( oil quantity, pressure and temperature on the basis that " if it becomes critical the aircraft will tell us"

Apart from basic airmanship my argument is that in an engine which seems to have a greater than average number of oil leaks maybe it is not a bad idea to monitor oil quantity so you know before say you start an Oceanic segment you may have a developing oil problem.

If the oil leaks are instantaneous ( burst seal etc) this argument is not as convincing.

Any support or otherwise for either side of the argument would be appreciated.

Last edited by RMC; 22nd Feb 2016 at 08:09. Reason: To clarify indicated....not total oil loss