PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP Command Type Rated First Officer logging PIC Time. Yes or No?
Old 21st Feb 2016, 02:47
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hikoushi
What does your POI say about logging PIC while PF as FO on live flights, even with a full type rating?
The POI doesn't have any say over what a pilot puts in his personal logbook.

Originally Posted by hikoushi
I assume you are logging BOTH SIC AND PIC in this scenario? If you are both JUST logging PIC then you are technically not operating the aircraft in accordance with its type certificate or the regulations under which said LIVE part 121 flight is flown. Both require an SIC.

Oooookay, now you're really reaching ... Not in accordance with the type certificate? Because of what someone writes in their personal logbook? Please tell me you're joking.

I think what we have here is a classic example of what often happens when this subject is discussed. Some get really confused on the difference between "What is legal" and "The way *I* think the world ought to be".

Just so I'm not misunderstood, I'll tell you the way *I* think the world ought to be: I think that it sould not be permitted to log PIC, unless you truly are the "signed for the airplane" "the buck stop here" no foolin' Pilot in Command. I don't like logging sole manipulation as PIC, and I do not do it myself.

That said, it is absolutely, positively, 100% legal in FAA land. Those are just the facts, as much as I think it should be different, the regs don't line up with my opinions on the matter.

It is true that many (most?) airlines expect you to report "PIC" time according to the definition in Part 1 on employment applications, and if you were discovered to be misrepresenting "sole manipulator "PIC" time as real PIC time, it would go badly for you in the interview. But that is the airline's policy, not the law.

THe law (or rather regulations) are pretty clear, it's legal.