PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton airshow.
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 15:50
RAFEngO74to09

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
RAF Charitable Trust Air Show Organization

If the RAF Charitable Trust organize the show using the same modus operandi as RIAT at RAF Fairford, very little organizational responsibility will actually fall upon the permanent staff at RAF Scampton. At Fairford, the following applies:

RIAT negotiate their use of permanent facilities and equipment on loan (eg aircraft GSE).

RIAT source all requisite temporary infrastructure eg barriers, traffic cones, toilets, catering facilities for volunteers.

RIAT take over operational responsibility for the airfield and provide their own ATC personnel.

RIAT source volunteer ground support staff eg flight line & GSE personnel.

RIAT source emergency services by obtaining fire and medical assets from a variety of agencies including DFRMO and local authorities.

High profile vehicles eg airfield management and "Follow Me" are provided by industry eg Range Rovers (I'm guessing perhaps on free loan in return for advertising).

The security force for volunteer and contractor vehicle checking in the weeks prior to, during and after the event come from RAF Cosford (actually programmed into the annual course task).

There are many other considerations but you get the picture.

I would anticipate that it will be run as a commercial venture using the same business model as RIAT with admission charges set at a level that covers all the costs - including insurance which is considerable - and allows for a contribution to charity.

The Fairford RIAT model is well-established and planning for the next event starts as soon as the last one has been cleared up. With Scampton, they have to start from scratch so hence the 2017 at earliest date.