PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton airshow.
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 14:49
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pros/Cons, I had not recent experience of air shows let alone running one. I had less than 12 months to get the show on the road. My OC Ops from his display circuit knew lots oif contacts and gave me invaluable guidance; it was a first rate show.

The Reds will have lots of experience of the good and bad and no doubt toiurex team members will volunteer to run things 😊.

A friend of mine was commercial manager at Waddo, he told me that the aiur show manager and he had both retired, not sure if both had been replaced. IIRC when Finningley started to use an ex-RAF professional manager the salary was around £30k. From a standing start where does a station get the money to pay the modern equivalent for a manager.

RIAT may be able to run both air shows with minimal additional staff. Never-the-less there are infrastructure costs, toilets in particular, traffic management, insurance, tentage, barriers, and then buying in the civil aerobatics.

I don't know how we ran the account at Coningsby or Waddo (pre-Finningley) apart from fingers crossed and as cheaply as possible. One bright spot, the dead hand of NAAFI has gone.