PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton airshow.
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 13:20
Guernsey Girl II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FB

To add to Wensleydale's point,

I can understand your surprise at the apparent negativity displayed in some of the posts in this thread.

I know you have a deep understanding of the history of RAF air shows and no doubt lots of contacts in the air show world. So I'm a little more positive to hear the poss involvement of one of the old Waddington team.

The thing that concerns me is the 3 year gap between Waddington 14 and possibly Scampton 17. Let me explain why; it would be an understatement to say things have changed massively in terms of manning in the last few years on Stations, let alone since you left at the start of the 90s.

First let's call Cosford a special case as its a training unit and therefore has an excess of manpower and the 'output' of the Station can be totally focuses on the show when required.

The only reason that Waddington (and Leuchars) worked was that each Sqn and Flt had little 'empires' to run. From year to year manpower changed in each section but that corporate knowledge was passed down as the vast majority of the section saw how it worked, (or didn't), last year.

Scampton just don't have the staff for that so to my mind the Scampton 17 team have 2 options:

Chuck Manpower from all over at it and contractor out even more of the tasks, (in fact make it a mini RIAT).

Or get the rest of RAF Lincolnshire to pitch in to a far deeper level than just CLMO a few scores of airmen.

PS note the voices of reason/cynicism on this thread all have recent Waddo air show experiences to treasure.