PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 12:50
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ametyst1 -

Just some thoughts concerning your proposals for joining a long-haul flight connection at LHR on the basis of routing LPL-DUB-LHR-XYZ.

Most travellers undertaking a long-haul journey will require at least one item of luggage checked into the hold. Whilst you can indeed fly LPL-DUB on a base fare of £19.99 each way, you will of course need to pay additionally for baggage. One checked item costs £18 for 20kg or £25 for 25kg per flight.

fly on EI193 arriving Dublin at 09:10 (but always early normally 08:50), transfer onto BA845 arriving Heathrow at 11:45.
BA845 is scheduled to leave DUB at 10:15, implying boarding around 10:00 at the latest. Given that you will require two seperate tickets for your journey (presumably LPL-DUB and DUB-LHR-XYZ to secure the cost savings) your flights at DUB are not linked for connecting / baggage purposes. Thus you would need to go to baggage reclaim for your luggage and exit through arrivals. Then you would need to check-in your luggage again for DUB-LHR-XYZ (you must be right on the time limit for this?). After this, you proceed through to departures via DUB security which on every occasion on my recent trips has itself been a slower process than the equivalent at MAN T3. Then you head to gate, some of which are afew minutes walk away at DUB. If, as a result of this process, you miss your rather tight connection to LHR the entire risk is borne by yourself. These are not linked bookings, so you lose your money and must re-book an on-the-day fare at your own expense (usually very costly).

If this ruse has consistently worked for you then you're one very fortunate chap. I don't think I would invite this level of stress during the course of my own travels. Whilst your evident dislike of all things MAN may make this journey option appealing to you, I suggest that you are in a small minority indeed. For travel between LPL and LHR alone with hand-luggage only I could see this connection working. But in post 4255 you claim to do this for long-haul travel. Out of interest, how often has this particular itinerary actually worked out for you?