PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 10:58
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Write offs

I suspect the write offs were more to do with the reducing ability to repair aircraft, similar to the situation with the canvas hangars that became u/s due to eventual lack of maintenance.
Barges were also prone to 'blow-overs' when mini-sqalls 'nipped in' and it did limit their use when operating with limited manpower and the inability to 'quickly' return then to a hangar.
The Prefect skid was not that beefy, and i seem to recall the pylon behind the pilot could 'spring' if the nose dug in on a poor or undulating surface.
However when you look at the flying incidents record against the type of operation,length of service,huge no of launches, and ratio of injuries(virtually zero) the record is second to none.
Remember; the organisation was turning out 'HUNDREDS' of A&B certs every year with Cadets having far less dual before doing 3 solo's.
The CFI's would keep a very careful watch on operations and in the main were VERY experienced instructors that no one questioned.

I recall that at restricted sites the base leg and final turn was only 400/200 ft
which gives very little margin for error,and sites like Halesland would never have been chosen in later years.
I think the 'capability' factor carried on due to staff continuity and the pride the Schools had in their operation.
Looking back at the actual way standards were maintained i think the rising staff Cadet element were always aware that although they had great freedom;an abuse of that trust would mean a swift departure out of the system and the CFI needed only to 'hint' about something for it to be taken very seriously. In fact this had the effect of increasing 'capability' as one aspired to maintain standards but also became 'capable' of avoiding being caught on 'excursions' !!

Last edited by POBJOY; 20th Feb 2016 at 16:25.