PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Legacy Age 65 Retirements
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2016, 04:03
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am advertising all over the US for pilots and the resumes sent to me are not anything as good as they were even three years ago. The pickings for me are slim to non-existent. So far of the dozens I have received this year I cannot accept any of them because they simply don't have the experience I need, whereas a few years back I was able to choose from many highly qualified pilots and resumes were sent to me dozens a week with many great people simply walking in the door. After a major advertising blitz I just took on 5 pilots to replace those lost to the majors and freight companies and only one is willing to give me full time.

The salaries in my area have gone up amazingly to attract pilots but even then there are few or no takers.

I know the majors will never have trouble but for every pilot at AA thousands are required at the lower level to support that demand. The pyramid of pilots has the airline captains at the apex and without a solid base that pyramid will topple.

I can assure you that the dozens of articles written by the Part 135 and Part 121 Regionals every week reporting the shortage are true.

The most logical reason for the shortage is the 1500 hour requirement, which had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with ego.