PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huge Willy Airspace
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 22:32
Alchemy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those saying that clearance will be forthcoming if requested, even if the airspace is red - is this really the case? Quite frequently NAIPS suggests ongoing clearance 'may not be expected' for at least one of the chunks of controlled airspace there, which, given the corridor, might mean you can't proceed.

I've flown through williamtown airspace return on the VFR coastal about six times in the last year.
Once (early on a saturday) I flew through unmolested with immediate clearance.
Four times I was told to hold at either or both the upper or lower limit of the corridor for anywhere from a few minutes to ten minutes or longer.
Once I was unable to proceed due Wx along the route, and requested a turn back south. This was apparently very difficult as there was another aircraft in the corridor about 5 miles back, and I was close to 'requiring' it to get things done.
A few times I've not entered the VFR route because of the broadcasts saying that airspace is on short notice activation and is about to become active (which to the low hour VFR pilot is super unclear whether clearance will be forthcoming for the return leg), especially when the inland corridor Wx is looking poor.
Exasperated with the above, I have previously phoned the tower, who told me that even though a slice of airspace might be closed, or might not, it 'shouldn't be a worry and should be fine to get you through'

I'm more than willing to admit that my hours (or lack thereof) might be contributing to these difficulties. But when I've flown in the LA basin, I've never been asked to hold before entering a corridor, and these quite often are over airports with 50+ movements an hour.

Why is Williamtown so different? Is there a major wake turbulence problem on the coastal VFR route or something? Or do they burn up and down Nobbys beach at 500 in the jets? It's always a stressful point for planning VFR up and down the coast. Or maybe I should just ask for airway clearance, and avoid the corridor altogether. No idea if that's even possible in YWLM, I've never heard someone try it. Probably because they're sick of it as well, and fly elsewhere.