PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 21:51
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T3 Reviews Excessively Harsh

The reason for my switch to the train was the awful experience that is Terminal 3.
T3 has its bad times, very early morning, and does for sure need expanding.
As a regular user of MAN T3 I generally find the criticism of that facility rather overdone on here. I'm aware that it has problems, but they are predominantly the result of the terminal's overwhelming popularity amongst the airlines which use it. T3 is actually too popular for its own good ... it bulks out.

I am amongst those who have highlighted some of T3's deficiencies in the past, but we need to retain perspective and balance in our discussions. Improvements have been made to T3. I passed through T3 four times as a passenger last week (two arrivals, two departures). On both outbound journeys I passed through T3 security at approximately 06:00, a particularly busy hour of the day featuring customers for the first wave of Ryanair departures plus pax for several FlyBe services and flights for BA and KLM. On the first occasion I reached the security search point with no delay whatsoever. I was through the whole thing inside five minutes. The second occasion saw a queue of about two minutes in duration and just a short delay whilst a resupply of grey x-ray trays was awaited. Even the security guy expressed surprise when those ran out: "You don't see that very often. There's loads of them". This time I found myself in the main departures area within ten minutes. And on both occasions the security staff were bright, chatty and pleasant whilst still doing an effective job (certain other airports: take note).

Having reached the airside departure lounge much earlier than we had allowed for, my party descended on the (recently opened?) 'Lion and Antelope' catering outlet. I was really impressed with this place. Most unusually for an airport catering outlet, prices appeared to be pitched at a Wetherspoon's level. Two of my group chose the full English breakfast (£7.95); at that early hour I opted for two rounds of toast and marmalade instead (£2.25). Coffees and teas vary in price from £1.95-£2.30 dependent on specific selection. If you're up for it there is a "Full Monty" super breakfast for £9.95, also a children's menu with prices about half those of adult meals. Two friendly members of staff helped carry our order to table. We really couldn't have asked for better, and at a price which would seem reasonable in a village cafe. I generally associate airport terminals with rip-off catering prices, so this is an unequivocal win for Manchester's much maligned T3. After finishing, one can adjourn to the panoramic windows alongside the 50's gates where ample seating is available, even at busy times.

My two arrivals back into T3 last week were swift and uneventful. From the middle of a Ryanair B738 (and hence one of the last to disembark with front and rear steps on the go) I was outside the building groundside in exactly ten minutes from the aircraft reaching the stand. My other arrival - from the FlyBe DH8D from Rotterdam - was quicker still. No complaints.

Yes, T3 has limitations - all regulars here know and acknowledge that. But it is far from the worst terminal you will encounter. The hatred on here is overdone. At quieter times of day it is very pleasant; when at its busiest it remains preferable to many other terminals I have used. Meanwhile, with reports emerging that Ryanair will increase throughput at MAN by 33% next year (plus growth from FlyBe etc.), I look forward to seeing MAG's plans to extend near-term capacity in the T3 facility. You do have such plans, don't you MAG? ;-)

Re: Cathay

It is obvious to me that they are worried by the effect of Hainan starting
at Manchester, on their service - so instead of a daily service that might need cutting back(once Hainan have established) they only have the four - and Gatwick is an indication of where they will boost by cutting Manchester further.
Mickyman - Do you have a decent atlas handy? Take a good look where Hong Kong and Beijing are located relative to each other. Note also the respective populations of these two global supercities. Jet flights between the two are scheduled for a duration of H3:20. So, extending your logic, should MAN be worried about losing its service to Brussels because there is also a regular schedule from MAN to Athens [BRU-ATH = H3.10]? Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Continue to push your head in your sandpit.
What a great line! Inspired imagery. I might have to borrow that one.