PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 19th Feb 2016, 20:38
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gulliBell
@tistisnot: Great, thanks for that reference. Does <100 PIC and 1000 PICUS qualify an applicant for an ATP in the ICAO world?

I just read the OGP Aircraft Management Guidelines; yep, it all seems to be covered there. 2000 total 1000 PIC, and the rest of it. Comes as a surprise. When I started out under the Exxon rules it was (from memory) 3500 PIC minimum for offshore Captain. Anyway, dilution to what it is now is what it is. Now I'm enlightened on the subject. Thanks.
I really can't see how endless hours of buzzing around in something like an R22 could be of any use at all in preparing one for offshore command. Personally I did some P1 time in a Bell 47 whilst getting my CPL(H) - definitely much less than 100 hrs - and that was the last time I flew P1 until I got my ATPL(H) and command. Whilst I'll agree that doing the same 1 hr of offshore several thousand times isn't much better, what happens in reality in a company like BHL is that the up-coming P2 does lots of role playing training where he is acting as P1. Aviation is very role specific and training and experience out of role has limited use and, if all that is SPVFR, it can be counter-productive for that all-important MCC etc.

I recall one new chap who had about 5000 hrs SPVFR (yes 5 thousand) but he was one of the few people who was chopped from Aberdeen during line training.