PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 16:19
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Real Experience

JP I know what you mean;at Kenley out CO had us making loads of useful equipment from scratch,it was a spin off from his job at the Woolwich Arsenal.
At least 50% of the original instructors had started when the ATC only had single seaters and after briefing his cadet would then winch him on a ground slide! many of the others were former aircrew.
You were encouraged to attend courses for Glider inspections and simple repairs so consequently even staff cadets were 'qualified' to be hands on with all the equipment in use.
If someone had suggested we aerotowed a machine to Halesland the answer would probably have been 'why only one'.
I am sorry T-head but the schools were both capable and safe and did not need a hangar full of p-work to operate because they knew their business and passed on quality and capability to a high standard.I agree there was far less of a H&S culture but that was because it had not been invented then; however it did exist by the very capability,common sense, and standards the schools operated to without the 'tick box' mentality that has been the reason for the current debacle.
Remember all of the current problems stem from the full time paid 'system' that is supposed to back up the VGS operations;i would also remind you that the safety record (which is the only bench mark you can use) is not exceeded by any other flying organisation including the RAF.