PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2016, 13:10
Democritus

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
That doesn't look like Mike Strangways to me either - Mike passed away in April 2010. It was Bill Armstrong who was part of Autair Helicopters. Jimmy Harper's son, Peter, was a Fleet Air Arm helicopter test pilot and in 1966 I believe he was the youngest ETPS graduate ever (I think he was 23) - I was on the same Squadron as him and much later in the 80's we flew together many times when he was the Chief Helicopter Test Pilot in the CAA. Sadly he died from Parkinson's at the age of 72 recently and his funeral is taking place as I type this. Gutted that I only found out last night.

Trent's was a good organisation - we took a couple of their graduates in BCAL Helicopters - both excellent piots who have done well for themselves.

I may be wrong but I don't think it was David Dixon who set up Sloane Helicopters at Sywell - David George certainly owned it when I used to hangar a helicopter there in 73/74. People and associated time scales sometimes get a bit mixed up though when I look that far back!

Last edited by Democritus; 19th Feb 2016 at 13:20.