PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 19th Feb 2016, 10:05
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry if I have confused you but I do not know what you are referring to?
Ok Jabawocky, so you said it is a "big mixture pull...quickly moving the mixture leaner. As soon as you feel the deceleration - stop." And you said the engine has to be 'conforming' to begin with. There was no mention of carb heat or an IAT gauge. Whereas Walter said:

The key is finding the optimal IAT using carb heat to get the fuel which has been atomized to become vaporized...Non-conforming engines will "seem" to run smoothly ROP...Your Mark One calibrated butt doesn't feel the differences when ROP. It does when LOP.
Walter starts with a 'non-conforming' engine and smooths it out with carb heat. Nothing about feeling the deceleration, only feeling for smoothness. He says you use EGT and IAT. You have described two different ways of setting up for LOP.

Also:

the simple method is to lean for a 100 RPM drop...Not everyone will be as confident or have the understanding and feel for this, but many of the APS students will. Why is that you might be thinking?
I don't think that leaning until you get a 100rpm drop is too difficult for the average pilot. Doing that from 100% power is the concern especially as Walter is now doing that with carb heat applied. I would like to see your data for doing this with a carb engine. Simply describing the priocess raises more questions than it answers.