PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 18th Feb 2016, 16:15
Walter Atkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extralite:

would it not be more constructive to show Continental where their operating handbook is incorrect

I could not agree with you more. You are exactly correct. (how come I never thought of that!! just kidding...) We began doing that over 15 years ago. We met with a significant amount of resistance to them being willing to even look at the data. Over time, the OEMs have changed their position and are now coming around to agreeing with THEIR OWN data. (remember, "the physics are everywhere the same") One VP in a large aviation manufacturing company came to the APS class and began sending the people in his division in groups until most had taken the APS course. After trying to effect a change in the company over several years, he finally had enough and changed employment. Corporate inertia is a strong force.

Other OEMs continue to send their people to our course. We welcome them to the party. Several CASA people came to the APS class George and I taught in Sidney and there have been some changes in CASA's positions on some things. Whether or not that was a direct result of the APS class is uncertain, but the coincidence is compelling. There are many legal reasons that you will not see the POHs changed. Some new POHs are beginning to show an updated understanding.

Remember, Galileo (oops, that's a mistake, it was Bruno) was burned at the stake, but his facts remained true.

Last edited by Walter Atkinson; 18th Feb 2016 at 20:23. Reason: stupid error!