PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does a pilot really need to be trained how to "monitor"?
Old 18th Feb 2016, 15:34
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mean to sound a smart-arse but it is going to be literally a pain in the neck if pilots spend half their life time in a jet transport with their seat tipped back "monitoring " the overhead panel for a possible fault that failed to activate a Master Caution light.

Over the past few years one XAA, perhaps at EASA behest, has added so many legally binding notes & signatures to the load sheets and Nav Logs that it is scary. No doubt they will add a 30 mins monitor check + signature to the tech-log similar to those toilet inspection signatures every few hours.

Auditors found that the FAA did not have "effective processes" in place to assess monitoring skills both in the cockpit and in the simulator.

What scares me is the techno-rush towards auto-drive cars. If we think that highly qualified/trained pilots have great difficulty in 'monitoring' their chariot then what do we think joe-public is going to do trundling down the motorway at 120kph reading the paper in total trust that HAL will steer/brake/accelerate their chariot in total safety? How often is there going to be the "WTF is it doing now?" and "what am I going to do about it?" It's frightening to think about. SUV's will become party wagons with the odd glance to find out where you are.
What will be the training program for such drivers? What will be the testing? Remember, drivers do not undergo re-tests in their life time. Even a PPL has a re-test every 2 years.
Driving at night for long periods on a motorway can be soporific as it is. Do you think reducing the concentration level to one of a monitor will enhance reduce safety? It would be like making an CAT 3B (no DH) autoland with your eyes closed in blind faith that the automatics will land, steer the a/c on centreline and the auto brakes will stop it before the end. Who would do that?
So, if FAA can not come up with an idea about training/assessing/checking pilots to be monitors what chance have the car driving authorities got?