PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 17th Feb 2016, 23:30
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
With regard to the VT, let's remember one or two things.

First, for SWP/VRS to occur the helicopter will most assuredly be below ETL. So its ground-track (if any) will be slow. Let's assume it's traveling forward slightly and not coming straight down when the pilot experiences the dreaded IVRS.

Pushing the cyclic to the right while simultaneously pushing the left pedal will *not* result in the helicopter sliding perpendicular to the ground track. No, the helicopter will yaw to the left and the helicopter will probably continue along the previous ground track or approximately so. The combination of right cyclic and left pedal would then have the same effect as lowering the nose, but with the added benefit of thrust from the tail rotor.

I've thought and thought and thought about the Vuichard Technique, trying to come up with something meaningful to say one way or the other. I mean, I've been flying these things for a long, long time so you'd think I'd have learned something by now.

Initially I was predisposed to reject the VT out of hand. However it appears that I've learned something new.