PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 20:56
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AtomKraft
The Elephant in the room is being ignored as usual.

I'm a pilot. Every so often, I drop a bollock..

What I don't like, is folk who try to call a spade a shovel.

And just for those who are interested, this is all about a pilot who ran out of sky. Can we not as a community of pilots recognise that thing that is clear for even a simpleton to see?

He cocked it up!

So? Who hasn't?

I'm fed up of this PC, 'Skirting-around -the-edges' bollocks'.

He banjoed WV392, and thank God- he's still alive.

For pities sake, call it for what it is.
It seems to me that there is more sense in this post than in whole pages that preceed or follow it.

I do disagree with Ac's statement that "this is all about a pilot" merely as being a tiny bit too definite - infitessimally too definite; one seemingly has to add disclaimers to statements of the obvious posted here that just might under the most extremes of chance have another cause against all normal judgement and experience.And this is one of them.

There is a persistent hypocrisy on this forum that while it is OK to admit that while members of our elite brotherhood are theoretically capable of screwing up it is beyond the pale to suggest that one actually has done so even when all the signs are that is exactly what happened. That is neither honest nor very helpful in recognising what may have occurred.

Our society is appallingly bad at assessing risk and proportion and pilots are no exception though one might hope they should be. While I don't decry the proper investigative process we delude ourselves by slagging off the free thinkers who see a duck, hear a duck, recognise a duck's flight and reach an unpopular logical conclusion.
As Ac said this happens repeatedly, vide the suicide in the Alps last year when even after all the circumstantial evidence had been stacked up the febrile debate over the most unlikely mechanical causes continued to the exclusion of the obvious answer as it was felt one of out brethren could not possibly have done such an unthinkable thing. This simply isn't a rational, mature or very professional approach to reality.

We'll never know what made that Chinook hit the Mull of Kintyre but we can be as certain as we can be that it was just another cumulo granitus and not with a mechanical cause just as we know that the Clutha Bar accident was caused by running out of fuel in flight and failing to establish autorotation. Why? How? We'll never know, but it was, ultimately, down to one of our colleagues getting it wrong. Sure, there may have been some million to one chance of something quite unexpected, unseen and unrecorded happened and though statistically the extremists and zealots can rely on this to claim "no proof" ir simply isn't a very rational practical position to take. There may well have been - doubtless were - extraneous events that led them into it, but they apparently didn't make them do it, thus get it wrong they did.

Let's show a bit of humility and be a bit more open minded about our so well proven frailty shall we? We'd probably learn more faster if we did...

I'll get my coat. :|