PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic flight from London to NY returns after pilot hurt in laser incident
Old 17th Feb 2016, 19:44
underfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erm, not sure what you are talking about. No aircraft I have ever heard of had l@ser protective coatings on the windows.
l@sers are very effective against military aircraft which is one reason they are banned I believe. We certainly would never blind an enemy pilot of course. That would be unsportsmanlike.
Check the US attack helicopters, they use laser for rangefinding and guidance.

I'm afraid you have been reading bad fiction.
You cannot stop an optical l@ser without affecting vision through a port.
I am afraid you havent been reading at all. The US main battle tanks have a very powerful laser rangefinder that goes to 5000m. I was on those tanks, and we tested them by burning holes in playing cards at 50m. For obvious reasons, the laser is not in the visible spectrum. All weapons sights and vision blocks are protected. Look online and see the wide range of laser safe glasses, it is just a coating on the glass, and many are clear.

l@sers used to listen to conversations are bouncing off the window and the vibration of the window causes doppler shift which is detected. Coatings won't change that one iota.
Not true, look at the coatings of the windows at DMAAC. The coating is specifically for laser listening devices. The coating has a radially diffuse pattern that scatters the laser, rather than allowing it to return. No return, no doppler shift.

Last edited by underfire; 17th Feb 2016 at 21:28.