PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet yield management
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 17:22
atakacs

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easyjet yield management

Just wondering how Easyjet is doing yield management / price calculation.

I often find that their price are actually significantly different (both above and below as a matter of fact) from their direct competition on similar legs (say GVA BCN, where Swiss is also offering direct flight within 1.5h of EZY). Why would you, at a given time, propose the exact same product at a 30% discount or premium (I have seen it) ?

Today I have missed my GVA-SXF morning flight and went to the customer service desk to re-book using their “rescue” option (ie a fixed penalty to be re-booked on the next flight, only available – I believe – if you show up at the airport with 2h of departure). Much to my amazement the friendly agent pointed out that it would be cheaper for me to purchase a new ticket outright, which I did. Again what’s the point of this pricing structure ? The evening (next) flight was more than 95% full, there is no direct competition (no one else is flying direct to Berlin from Geneva, and all other one stop one way offers where considerably more expensive) so why sell me something so cheap ?! Not complaining (although I am a very minor shareholder), just trying to understand the system…

Any comments most welcome !