PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amazing unprofessionalism in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2003, 23:09
Jayjay Ococha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Amazing unprofessionalism in Africa

Anyone else hear the exchange between Niamey control and the pilot of a major international airline this morning 13th July? In a relatively short aviation career (7 years) it has to go down as the most childish and unprofessional exchange I have ever heard. In a procedural ATC environment a conflict was identified overhead ROFER reporting point (3 mins), the resolution ordered by Niamey was to descend said pilot, who not only refused but did so in a manner as if to say "I`m not moving, move the other guy" (another major international airline). Further pleas from ATC for him to descend were met with arrogant disdain and a repeated refusal to descend. He went on to quote ICAO Rules of the Air, paragraphs from Jeppeson, the Charter of Godknowswhat etc. both on 126.9 and Niamey ATC frequency, all the time remaining at his assigned level causing a loss of separation.
He was not only childish, arrogant and stupid, but sounded ridiculous and endangered the lives of up to 400 people. All those who fly regularly in the IFBP area know its limitations and safety relies on the utmost professionalism of those involved. It saddens and worries me to know that there are pilots prepared to compromise our most basic tenets for the sake of misguided "principle".