PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2016, 10:26
NutLoose

Received 2,939 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Spectators get killed at many events all over the world.

Yep, and that makes it OK? A minor point, many of those killed weren't spectators, they were going about their own business on a public highway.

Anyway, it's almost irrelevant whether AH cocked-up or the aircraft suffered a technical failure. The bit that really needs ironing-out is why uninvolved third parties got caught-up in the accident. This gets down to risk assessments/management etc and I think is why the CAA have reacted so positively. My instinct tells me that they feel there may have been a failure in air display oversight, right up to the Regulator.
Correct, that is the one thing that is different, attending an air show and purchasing a ticket you are in effect signing up to an agreement that you attend at your own risk and are aware of the dangers and possibility you could be harmed. The difference here was those involved did not sign up to those terms and conditions and were not attending the show, but were going about their daily business.

As an example from Cosfords Airshow site.

By purchasing tickets online, over the phone or from an outlet you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions.
http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/tickets.php

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY

Visitors entering the airfield do so entirely at their own risk.

No liability will be accepted by the Organisers, their consultants, servants, agents, independent contractors or sponsors for any injury (including fatal injury), illness, damage or loss whatsoever directly or indirectly occasioned to person or property, whether due to negligence or otherwise howsoever caused subject to the provisions of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
Terms and Conditions