PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 17th Feb 2016, 07:12
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I would not take this picture as the real deal. It is a bit more complicated.

Shawn's book has a more complete picture.
The airflow is in fact highly chaotic - hence the low frequency vibration or waggling of the ship all over the place - and slipping the ship through the vortex on the right ... I doubt that this is the case. I suspect that the vortex disappears before it engulfs the stalled area, since the rotor is now flying through clean air and normal airflow is restored. To have a vortex, one needs a tip of a blade and the point around which the vortex turns is normally beyond the tip, because otherwise the blade would not be able to feed any energy into it.

Others have discussed that, too.

What strikes me here, is the fact, that Tim Tucker would let develop a full VRS, which is not real world and again it is stated, the technique isn't new. For tandem rotor ships it is even the standard technique. SASless should know more about that.

Let's keep that in mind:
Another area of concern, pilots sometimes have difficulty recognizing the difference between VRS and settling with power, much less which technique to use under each of those circumstances. Forward cyclic and reduce collective works for both. For the so-called Vuichard Recovery that may not be the case, further analysis is needed.
It is hard to argue with this. One should keep in mind, that with all these techniques, there is always a week link, and that is the pilot who has to apply the right one in the right circumstances. Adding complexity to the job will not save more bent metal. If the pilot just needs one more second to figure out if it is IVRS or SWP, the whole advantage (if there is one) of the now know as Vuichard Recovery technique is gone.

Frankly, in a non scientific approach that is used in this case, it is becoming more of a dogmatic discussion (who has the biggest).

An interesting read from the antediluvian times.
http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/...rc/rm/3117.pdf
Adding power was the technique then. Or wait until the nose drops. Scary.